Saturday, November 13, 2010

Healthy Habits

First of all I wanna say Welcome Nicole! I look forward to reading your posts.

Ok here is the dealio. I known this for a while, but I have an eating disorder. . .bad enough that I am now seeing a Counselor and a Dietitian or Nutritionist or whatever title you want to use. It really started before I left my other job. It really sickens me since I always thought "I'd never do that," after watching countless movies about anorexia and bulimia in high school gym classes and also seeing a friend starve herself in college.

While I don't have anorexia or bulimia I have found that there are countless ways to binge and purge. My problem really stems from over eating and emotional eating. Yes, an eating disorder of eating to much food, they don't teach about that in school. My form of purging was not eating, basically fasting for one or more meals sometimes a day at a time. I have met "Ed" (eating disorder) and am trying to separate myself from him. He really moved into my one bedroom apartment and even moved with me to my new job (living in a studio apartment with Ed was hard).

Enter my counselor and nutritionist. My counselor had me read a book called Life without Ed, which was very informative and my Nutritionist has me reading Intuitive Eating. Now as Steph has mentioned I have added a personal trainer (temporarily) to help me with healthy habits.

For the time being I will not be stepping on a scale, or measuring myself, as I have been asked not to. I will be trying to form healthy habits and feel good, not only physically but also mentally. It has been difficult, but I know that I am on a better path and that I do have support.

One thing I have learned is that right now restricting calories or exercising for extreme amounts of time is not going to help me. Did you know that if a 150 pound male spent the whole day in bed resting he would still require 1755 calories for his body to function properly? Also Every single cell in your body requires energy (calories) and that is what your metabolism is, the energy your body requires to function.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, not having a scale has let me feel better about myself. I'm curious, sure, but it's nice not getting on the thing every morning and obsessing over every little pound.

You will do awesome Cupcake. If there's one thing I've noticed about you, it's that you work so hard at the things you set your mind to.

stewbert said...

Hugs Cupcake! Admitting having Ed is hard. So proud of you for confronting that and taking charge of your life!